My topic for my issues paper is the D.A.R.E. program and whether or not is should be discontinued. On both sides of the issue, studies have shown that the other side’s research is flawed. Those for the program say that it is successful in building drug awareness, as well as building a relationship between police, kids, and parents; those against it say that it is a waste of money because it doesn’t, and it actually makes parents more likely to not teach children about drug use. I will probably argue for the program, because I believe that anything to help inform children about drug abuse and avoiding peer pressure is always something to be encouraged. The opposite view believes that police officers are ineffective as teachers, the program is too standardized for use in a classroom, the knowledge obtained in the program is stated too much throughout the students educational experience, the effects of the program eventually wear off, and the popularity of the program hide the fact the program does no good. Supporters maintain that it is effective—research has proven this—and that it is implemented (I think that is the right word) at the time that kids are most likely to receive and understand it. Personally, I have never been in the program; I participated in N.O.V.A., which replaced D.A.R.E. in my elementary school when I was in sixth grade. But the basic idea was the same. And I would argue that such a system works—to this day some of the activities, lectures, and object lessons are still in my mind. And that was well over seven years ago. At least two of my siblings went through D.A.R.E. in Idaho, and they certainly were influenced by it. I’m pretty sure they remember the lessons they learned there too. The funny thing about all this? I don’t remember being taught in the home about drug abuse as a family unless one of us kids brought it up. But when we did, the conversation still went pretty in depth. I could tell my parents were against it. I didn’t need them to lecture me on it to know that.
I remember going through the D.A.R.E. program in Boise while I was in elementary school--does your family still live in Idaho?
ReplyDeleteyep--but on the other side of the state. We live just outside of Idaho Falls--in the only area without a suburb name. :)
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete